Well if you can guess where I am going with this without reading it... I still wont believe you.
Monday morning rolls around and I get out of bed and I am brushing my teeth (the last step in my getting ready for the day routine, so I am dressed skirt and all makeup done and ready for the day) when I get a phone call from my supervisor. Now I work at a law office and I deal with two things: one, outgoing mail and two, opening new files for collections. This particular Monday just so happens to be one of those holiday's that we all know about but for some reason only the post office gets it off, you guessed it, President's Day. This means that no mail is moving in the US through the US postal service (which is half my job, and I am currenly still waiting for my mission call so its great).
Anyhow, my supervisor calls and offers me the day off since mail wont move at all and she knew my brother was leaving for his deployment that same week she said take some time off and have fun with your family. So I did! I put my p. jam's back on and crawled right back in bed for a few more hours of sleep.
Well a huge part of my life, which is also vital to this story for without it this story wouldn't exist, is the fact that my mother is the on-site manager of the apartments I live in. This means that on any given saturday when you are complaining about doing a little bit of yard work (or even a lot a bit of yard work) you should be greatful that at least it's your families mess you are cleaning up and not someone else's. I know this because I am typically cleaning up someone else's. Anyhow you now thinking this story is taking way to long and your ready to be done. So I cut to the chase:
My sister and I were assigned the task of staging a few apartments so they would be move-in ready, not a big deal... usually. But as we are going through making sure all the switches work etc. I check the garbage disposal in the kitchen sink, and wouldn't you know it? It sounds like metal grinding metal! So I flip the switch off and I try to use a light to see into the sink because the last thing I want to do is stick my hand down in there, not because I've never done that before (because I definitely have!) but because its usually gross. At this point my sister has guessed what the result of the grinding metal will be and has walked away saying 'I'm not doing it. There is no way I am sticking my hand down that drain'. She is just always so helpful!
Inevitably I have to stick my hand down into the drain. Now you can probably guess what I found down in there. The first thing I pull out is a penny, thats right a 1 cent piece of money, who the heck puts money in the disposal?! ( I understand they probably didn't put it in the drain but they did not take it out.... so they are the bad guys). But as I am searching around down there I realize there is more than just a penny.
I then proceed to scoop out several hand fulls of chicken bone, another coin of some sort that is metal and painted, and several wads of not so hard yet chewing gum. It was lovely.
I then call mom to tell her what my discover has been to ask her what she wants me to do next. So we return home and gran the crank so we can physically force the blades to move about. I hit the reset button the disposal and crank the blades around a few times and finally flip the switch again. It took a minute to grid up all of the chicken bones but I think they are all out now.
The moral of the story is: do not, under any circumstances, put pennies, ay form of money or coin, bones of all sorts or chewing gum in your food disposal at the kitchen sink. Let alone at the same time! I did not think I would have to tell anyone that but apparently it needs to be taught.
Consider yourself taught, and then remember it. Tune in next time to learn some other gross funny story about what my days off are like, so that you can more fully enjoy yours!
Oh and we did get to go to Bullwinkle's with my sister, brother and some of his friends so it was a successful fun day off, so no worries!
No comments:
Post a Comment